Beam Epitaxy Unit (SIVA32 by RIBER,France) with two Effusion
cells, two e-beam assisted evaporators, in situ RHEED
and RGA systems. Vacuum made by combination of ion pump,
Ti sublimation pump and Cryo pump with base pressure 10-10
Torr. Recently upgrading to Si/Ge system.
2. RF magnetron Sputter
System,( E306A by Edwards, UK) with Langmuir probe attachment,
for high-K dielectrics.
3. Thermal and e-beam
evaporation system, (Leybold, Germany) for metallization.
4. DC magnetron Sputter
System, (Hind High Vac, India) for Ti, Ta deposition
5. Thermal evaporation
for metallization (Hind high Vac, India) for Al, Au deposition
6. Microwave Plasma
System for ultra-thin gate dielectrics (like SiO2, Si2N3,
7. Tube Furnace for
thermal annealing, oxidation (dry) etc up to 1200 C with
8. Muffle Furnace
(Max temp. 1200 C)
9. Closed cycle He-gas
cryostat (APD Cryogenics, USA)
10. Fully automated
system for measurement parameters like Resistivity (dc/ac),
Magnetic susceptibility, Hall mobility etc as a function
of temperature from Room Temperature down to 12K. including
Current-voltage (I-V), Capacitance/Conductance -Voltage
(C-V/G-V) measurement up to 200 C
11. Scanning Tunneling
Microscopy and Spectroscopy (RHK Technology, USA)
12. Rapid Thermal
Annealing System (max. ramp rate 220 C/sec to 1200 C)
a) CSIR project - "Growth and characterization of strain
and band gap engineered Si1-x-yGexCy films for silicon
heterostructure devices applications". PI - Prof S K Ray
b) European Commission project (In collaboration with
Queen's University of Belfast, UK) "Growth of ultra thin
films of SiGe/SiC on Silicon and design of high speed
silicon HBT" Co-PI - Prof S K Ray
c) INSA project - "Ion-induced dry etching of perovskite
ceramic and silicon based thin films for electronic applications"
PI Prof S K Ray
d) DOE project - "Development and characterization of
application specific BIPOLAR array and ECL gates" Co-PI
Prof S K Ray
e) DRDO project - "Development of strained layer SiGe
films for MOSFET applications". Co-PI Prof S K Ray
f) MHRD project - "Synthesis of nano-sized non-oxide ceramic
powder and fabrication of bulk and thin film nano-composites".
Co PI Prof S K Ray
g) DST project - "Synthesis of nano-sized ceramics and
study of sintering kinetics of the powders" Co-PI Prof
S K Ray
h) CSIR project - Magnetic and Electrical transport properties
of disordered materials. By V. Srinivas
i) ISIRD Project - Surface Modification on thin films
using Scanning Tunneling Microscope. By V. Srinivas.
j) CSIR Project - Creation and Characterization of Nano-size
Structures on Metallic and Semiconductor surfaces using
STM for Novel Quantum Devices By B.K. Mathur
1. M. Tech and M. Sc. Projects
2. Rendering service to other laboratories
3. Development/ upgradation of facilities
1. Semiconductor Hetero-structures eg. Si/SiGe, Si/SiGe/SiGeC
2. High-k dielectrics e.g. (Ba,Sr)TiO3, SrBi2Ta2O9 in
thin films for DRAM/FRAM applications.
3. Ultra-thin Gate dielectrics e.g. SiO2, SiON, ZrO2
4. Shallow junctions and shallow doing for devices (N2
implantation using PIII)
5. Nano-structures fabrications (Porous Silicon and nano
6. Giant-Magneto-resistance (in oxides and metal systems)
7. Magnetic and Electrical properties novel magnetic materials.
8. Metallic glasses, Quasi-crystals and Nano-phase materials.
1. Dr M.V.H Rao, Dissertation on "Scanning tunneling microscopy
studies of thin film growth phenomena"
2. Dr Bibekananda Panda, Dissertation on "Processing and
Characterization of lead-lathanum-zirconate-titanate and
barium-strontium-titanate thin films"
3. Dr Asit Kumar Kar, Dissertation on "Scanning Tunneling
microscopic and spectroscopic Investigations of Colossal
Magnetoresistive Manganites" 4. Dr Chumki Saha, Dissertation
on "Ion assisted processing of polycrystalline Si, Si-Ge
films and their oxides"
5. Dr Pranabesh Barua, Dissertation on "Synthesis and
characterization of low dimensional Al-Cu-Fe quasicrystals"
6. Mr Siddheswar Maikap, Dissertation on "Ultrathin dielectrics
on Sige/SiGec layers for heterostructure MOSFET applications"
7. Mr A. Perumal, Dissertation on " Magnetic and electrical
transport properties of Mn substituted Fe-Zr reentrant
1. Prof B.K.Mathur , designation : Associate Professor,
email : email@example.com , Ph(off) (03222)83826,
of interest : exptl condensed matter physics, x-rays,
2. Prof S.K.Ray., designation : Professor,
email : firstname.lastname@example.org ph(off) (03222)83838
of interest. : Microelectronics, SiGe Devices, Thin films
3. Prof V. Srinivas, designation : Associate Professor,
email : email@example.com ph(off) (03222)83848
of interest : Amorphous materials, GMR, magnetism
4. Dr Achintya Dhar, designation : Asst. Professor
email : firstname.lastname@example.org Ph(off)(03222)81908
of Interest : Thin films, sensors, MEMS