Stability and Design of Slope and Dump in Opencast Mines
September 15-17, 2015
DEPARTMENT OF MINING ENGINEERING
INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY KHARAGPUR
KHARAGPUR - 721 302 (W.B.), INDIA
ABOUT THE COURSE
The practice of geo-mechanics are continuously evolving and making significant progress for improving productivity and safety in opencast/ openpit mines and hilly terrain to control landslides. Several mining and civil companies have successfully implemented geo-mechanics principles to solve short and long term geotechnical issues at their sites. As a result, the importance of slope stability, landslide of surface excavations and waste dump are felt more now than ever before.
The course is aimed to equip participants with the state-of-the-art geo-mechanics principles and impart knowledge of relevant case studies and typical rock and soil mechanics applications in slope stability. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the practical problems in terms of geo-mechanics principles, physico-mechanical properties and excavation/dump geometry. This course starts from the basics and focuses on importance to understand the parameter affecting the stability.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to understand how a real life slope stability problems can be dealt with the knowledge gained from theoretical understanding, laboratory studies, numerical modeling, and field instrumentation.
- Design of opencast/ openpit
- Slope in hard rock
- Slope in soft rock
- Dump design
- Impact of blasting on slope stability
- Slope Instrumentation
- Numerical Modeling
- Laboratory Testing
- Panel Discussion on real-life problems presented by participants
The lectures will be delivered by the faculties with proven knowledge, and demonstrable ability in teaching and research.
- Interested participants can contribute to this discussion by providing the history of slope stability problems and/or mitigation measures in their organisation by sharing information by small powerpoint presentation and/ or small writeup with principal coordinator in advance so that necessary arrangement can be made for panel discussion. Documents accepted on time may be included into the course material.
WHO CAN ATTEND?
This course is designed for practical operational personnel, mine planners, mining engineers, geologists, and anyone involved in the day-to-day open pit metalliferous and coal mining operations. The deliberations of this course will be beneficial for young academicians and researchers too.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your nomination with requisite course fee to the Course Coordinator on or before September 11, 2015.
Certificate will be issued to each participant from the Office of "Dean (Continuing Education), IIT Kharagpur".
The accommodation for the participants will be arranged at Technology Guest House (TGH) on payment basis after confirmation of participation. TGH provides double bedded AC accommodation. Room tariff per day for single occupancy is Rs. 800/- and for double occupancy Rs. 600/-.
Last date for receiving application:September 11, 2015
Course dates:September 15-17, 2015.
COURSE FEE AND MODE OF PAYMENT
The participation fees for taking the course fee is Rs. 25,000/- per participant which includes the course material, laboratory use for tutorials, transportation, course dinner, refreshments, and 24 hr free internet facility.
HOW TO REACH KHARAGPUR
The course fee is payable by two modes:
- Demand draft or multi-city A/c payee cheque: Drawn in favour of "CEP-STC, IIT Kharagpur" payable at Kharagpur, and
- Electronic Clearance Scheme (ECS) as per following details
- Authority holding the account: Dean, CE, IIT Kharagpur
- Account Name: CEP-STC
- Bank/Branch name: Syndicate/SRIC, IIT Kharagpur
- Account type/no. SB/95562200002955
- MICR no. 721025103
- IFSC/SWIFT code: SYNB0009556/SYNBINBB120.
Kharapgur is well connected through railway network to all major cities of India. IITKgp is about 5 Km. away from Kharagpur Jn. and 1 Km from Hijli railway station. Taxi, auto rickshaw, cycle rickshaw are available for transport.
The nearest airport is Netaji Subhas Chandra International Airport, about 150 Km from Kharapgur. Kharagpur can be reached in 3 hrs. by car from airport. The transport can be arranged as per request on payment basis.
Dr. Abhiram Kumar Verma
Department of Mining Engineering
IIT Kharagpur, West Bengal- 721 302, India
Ph: (+91) 03222-283710
M: (+91) 09476433770
Fax: +91 3222 2827000/ 255303
Download Registration form